Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection: Game Review


Since my first console system was a Sega Master System, you can guess I am going to love this, but just in case you should check the other side for the review.

In my younger years there was a very special game of poker going on between father and son. For the final hand there was a big bet made. If the father wins the son is doing all the yard work for the year with no allowance. If the son wins the father is buying the son a Sega Master System. Lets just say I (the son) won and will never get a straight flush again in my life. But I ramble on.

Just so you know I will not be going into graphics with this game. Lets face it, old 8 and 16 bit games were awesome then but not so much now.

This game launched with 40 retro games for your enjoyment. I will list them at the bottom of the story so I don’t take up much space here. One interesting thing about pulling out he old system and playing it is that there are only 2-4 buttons and a D-pad. For me when I am playing the old games on the original system, everything just feels wrong; the controller is different and odd feeling. I really liked playing these games on my PS3 because I am already used to the controller. It also seems like the game reaction time from when you hit a button on the controller is better than the old system. I have no idea what this plays like on the Xbox 360, I like to play these games with the D-pad I went straight for the PS3 version over the 360 because (it’s no secret) the 360 D-pad SUCKS.

Going back and playing Sonic, Columns, and Streets of Rage was great. I had forgotten what the games were like and how good they are. If those aren’t enough there are other unlockable games from Sega’s past. I almost cried when I saw that Phantasy Star from the Sega Master System was unlockable.

The game allows you to change the buttons, adjust screen size for the widescreen folks, and has save states. Save states, if you don’t know, are a way to save what is going on in a game at that very moment. So if you are playing in Sonic the Hedgehog, a game that on the Genesis had no way of saving, you can save your progress. Makes it a little better on games like that because sometimes I want to just play a level then drop it. Now I can keep my place.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just picked up this collection on Friday (Xbox 360) and I'm having fun with it so far. I own most of these games on cartridges, but some I do not and have not played in awhile. One game that surprised me was Alien Storm. It's a fun little game that plays like a futuristic Golden Axe and is a lot of fun.

And having all four Phantasy Star games on one disc? That's awesome. Even the black sheep of the Phantasy Star series, Phantasy Star 3, is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

EGM Reviewed Phantasy Star 3 back in the day and actually gave it the same score they gave to part 2!

I enjoy reading your site, keep up the good work.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com